Saturday, June 28, 2014

Mt. Baldy

Yesterday, I climbed to the top of Mount Baldy.  The hike contained a 4,000 ft elevation with a total trek of about 8.5 miles.  I knew that the hike would be tough, but I had no idea what I was actually in for until I was about 9,000 feet above sea level.  I cannot explain how hard this hike was, but it was an amazing experience.  There were some parts of the hike, when I was climbing over rocks, that I felt like I was in the Parent Trap.  It was so much fun!  Too bad the whole hike was not like that; I would have appreciated climbing over rocks or walking on a flat surface.

Here are some pictures from the top of the mountain.


It was surprisingly windy near and at the top of the mountain.  It made the trek getting to and from the very top harder than if there was no wind.

I am thankful that the trek down from the mountain was easier than the trek up.  I was able to appreciate more of the views as I did not have to concentrate as much on where I was going.

The hike took a total of about 8.5 hours, and about 35,000 steps.  As a "reward" we went out for Handel's ice cream.  I got a milkshake: chocolate malt w/ caramel.


I definitely feel the effects on my body today, even after having slept for 13 hours.  It is difficult to sit down and stand up, but once I am walking I am fine.  Hopefully I won't be as, or more, sore tomorrow.

"The greatest feeling of accomplishment for me is the fact that I was an athlete who was somewhat disabled." -Bill Toomey

No comments:

Post a Comment