Thursday, June 12, 2014

Because I'm Happy!

What is there about today that is not great? I mean, besides that fact that my GRE homework was a bit difficult tonight.  I started my day by making a mess on my mirror with my mouse (to make my hair curly today).  It looked cool though, so I really didn't care.  Especially, because it was easy to cleanup.


It was a slow day in lab, as my Tetrahymena cells did not reproduce as fast as usual; unlike humans, a new generation can be born every 2-2.5 hours.  Due to their stubbornness, my microscopy experiment has been put off another day!  To try and make my cells happier, iron was added to their growth media.  Fingers crossed that this new set of cells I am trying to grow reproduce!   Unfortunately, I don't have any results that I can share with you today in terms of experiments.  I completed 1 digest, which ate up my parental (normal) DNA leaving only my mutated DNA, and transformed two reactions (the digest and the one with a GFP tag so that it will fluorescence in the cell) into cells that can be grown in E. Coli!  I would be more than happy to explain this to you sometime, but I believe most of you will just get bored if I try and write it all out here.  I also, finally, got to set up my control reaction.  This reaction will make my findings stronger, and more believable.  My control is the normal DNA sequence that is found in the cell, without any induced mutations.

I had a major break-through today with my understanding of the key papers for my thesis.  I still have plenty of papers to read, but I now understand differentiation in terms of DNA (compact and non-compact) and not solely in terms of stem cells (which differentiates into many different types of cells that can make up an organism).  My newfound understanding of the papers will take me a long way in the thesis, and real, world.

However, this was not even the best part of my day.  For those of you who read my blog last thursday (or talked to me..?) you know that the Starbucks Barista from last week was really nice, and flirty.  Well, one of my lab mates and I went to Starbucks again today.  Guess what?  He recognized me, and we struck up a conversation that may have lasted two minutes.  It was great :)  For those of you who are curious, it is just some innocent flirtation that will not go anywhere, and I am perfectly okay with that.  I enjoyed my Java Chip Frappuccino today, and was very energized for the last leg of the afternoon!

I've been pretty hungry all day today, so it should come to you as no surprise that I made another zoku pop today.  I did not take a picture, however it is safe to presume that I made another milk n'oreo popsicle.  For dinner, I went for comfort food that was easy to make.  I made annie's white cheddar organic mac and cheese with chicken and spinach sausage.  It was very enjoyable to eat on the couch watching tv on my computer.

Here's to a happy day, and an even better Friday the 13th.

Things to look forward to in the coming weeks:
-a climb to the top of Mt. Baldy
-a trip to NorCal
-laser tag with my friends and professors

Thank you for all of the support from my friends, and especially my family, as I take this journey.


"The only thing that will make you happy is being happy with who you are, and not who people think you are."--Goldie Hawn

No comments:

Post a Comment