Thursday, June 12, 2014

$1.25

$1.25.  That is how much my ice cream cost today at Handel's.  There were so many good sounding flavors to choose from.  This place, though in a strip mall, reminds me of some place I used to go to in NJ with my family: MAGIC FOUNTAIN.  There are four windows that you can order at, with a few tables to eat at outside.  I got chocolate brownie!  It was great to eat homemade ice cream; I can't remember the last time I went to a stand-alone ice cream place like this.



To time warp back to a great beginning of my day:  I had a great start, sitting at the kitchen table this morning with a nice cup of coffee, in conjunction with completing part of my GRE homework.  I complimented my cup of coffee with a BREAKFAST OF CHAMPIONS! Eggo waffles and eggs.



This start was a stray from the start of my usual day: a workout/run.  My lab advisor, as we discussed working out on Monday, said that having that release of energy would make you more calm and collected in the lab.  To motivate us to work out (of course, I guess we as a lab approved of this), we have a calendar where we write if we worked out or not.  If we don't work out on a certain day, our professor will write slacker in red pen.  Some people may see it as mean, and I could agree with that, but I am choosing to look at it as being fun, and my motivation.  Today, we decided to work out after work as a lab group (just us students).  I think this could be a great way to get to know each other more, and spend time together outside of work-life.

Being in lab today taught me a lot.  While my big microscopy experiment did not work, I started over determining what needed to be changed based on the today's results.  The problem was that the background was not black, but a similar hue to our cell color under UV light.  This did not allow for us to properly see our nuclei.  However, experiments wouldn't be experiments if everything went right the first time! (idea/quote courtesy of my mom.)  What I have learned is that you need a lot of patience to be in a lab.  You need to be even-headed, and not blame the failed experiments on the protocol or yourself.  A large portion of being in a research lab is trouble-shooting.  If you enjoy puzzles, then you will probably enjoy being in lab.  Personally, I do not like puzzles, and tend to give up on them.  However, I truly enjoy trouble-shooting in the lab.  I am intrigued by what could have gone wrong; there are endless possibilities, and determining how the problem can be fixed.  As I am new to lab, I still have a lot to learn (I probably trust protocols too much still at this point, especially because everything worked on the first try during the school year).  Today, it was determined that the experiment did not work, most likely, due to excess primary, and potentially secondary, antibodies.  Hopefully, adding less antibodies will give a clearer view of my cells under the microscope!  I will try and update you all by the end of the week (I know you are just dying to know, like I am!)

It is getting late here, and I need to get to bed! Until next time :)

"Patience, persistence, and perspiration make an unbeatable combination for success." -- Napoleon Hill

No comments:

Post a Comment