Monday, September 7, 2015

Spaghetti Squash with a feta cheese tomato cream sauce

I spent about an hour making food today for dinner and leftover meals.  I baked two butternut squash, frozen peas and carrots, and corn, and chopped up some squash and zucchini.  Then I made a "cream" sauce.  It was fantastic!  However, I would have thought that two 3 lb. butternut squash and all those veggies would have created more than three meals!  Here are my recipes to make this yourself (and I definitely recommend that you do).




Spaghetti Squash:
Place squash in a pyrex dish
Pre-heat oven to 350
While the oven is preheating, place the squash in the pyrex and put it in the oven
When the oven is pre-heated, take out the spaghetti squash and cut it in half.  I always cut it in half width-wise, but you can cut it in half length-wise.
Scoop out all of the seeds
In the bottom of the pyrex dish, pour in a bit of olive oil and sprinkle some oregano underneath where you are going to put the spaghetti squash
Place the spaghetti squash in the pyrex dish up-side down
Bake for 45 minutes

Use a fork and make your spaghetti!  I am too impatient to wait for the spaghetti squash to cool down, so I usually burn my hand.  However, you could also use a paper towel to hold the spaghetti squash halves.

Feta cheese tomato cream sauce:
1/2 cup feta cheese
1/8 cup mild cheddar
1/3 cup skim milk
grated Parmesan cheese
1 cup tomato sauce (I used hunts garlic and herb)

Add feta cheese to a pot, then put in the mild cheddar and milk
Heat until the cheese won't melt anymore, and all ingredients are mixed
Turn burner off and then let it thicken
Cover the top with Parmesan cheese
Add the tomato sauce and then heat and stir until thoroughly mixed

If you want a thicker tomato sauce I would either double the cheese/ half the tomato sauce or use heavy cream instead of milk!

Veggies:
2/3 cup frozen peas and carrots
2/3 cup frozen corn
~1/3 squash
~1/3 zucchini

Chop up the squash and zucchini
In a large pan, add the frozen peas and carrots, and corn
Add 3/4 cup water and cook on low/med until the water has evaporated
Add in the zucchini and squash and cook on low for ~5 mins (time may vary depending on how big you chopped veggies)

Add the spaghetti squash then the sauce to the large pot, stir and serve.  Enjoy!

Let me know if you have any questions!

No comments:

Post a Comment