Sunday, September 20, 2015

Football

Football season started about 2 weeks ago, and it is a whole new world to me.  Football is similar to a religion down here, and it is a new way of living for me.  Last Saturday was the first Hoos home football game of the season, and everybody flocked to the stadium for the game.  I went out and studied for the day (of course) and the line of cars heading to the stadium was backed up for traffic lights.  That doesn't include the parking lots full of tents, open trunks, and loads of food, or the hoards of people walking towards the stadium.  This was all three hours before the game started.

Yesterday, I decided to join those hoards of people as I went to my "first" college football game. I say "first" because I went to a Claremont-Mudd-Scripps vs. Pomona-Pitzer game but it is not the same.  College students were allover the roads yesterday with signs saying "Parking $20" or "Parking $20 plus free use of the bathroom", and "Cheap parking here".  It was shocking!  Students trying to make money off of game day by charging for expensive "cheap" parking.  Yet, people pay them to park at their apartment complex or house without a second thought.  I was still in for another shock of the day, however.  What I did not realize was that going to a football game meant standing up for four hours straight.  Needless to say, I am still exhausted today.  It was a lot of fun to watch the game, and see the school pride.  I guess I need to learn the UVA cheer for next time.  Despite being exhausted, I am glad that I went and got to experience something new.

It is going to take me a very long time to get used to football season, but who knows, maybe I will become  a football fan like everybody else...

No comments:

Post a Comment