Saturday, August 30, 2014

About to Move In

Hello Everyone!

Sorry I have been MIA the past few weeks.  I have been taking a break from school, thesis, and the GRE's to spend time with my family.  It's been fantastic.  Before I go into too much detail about my life, I would like to let you know that I have taken the GRE's and do not plan on re-taking them.  It is a huge relief to have finished that chapter of my life.

My life the last few weeks has consisted of a trip with the family, including Cheryll (our dog), to Santa Barbara.  It allowed us a chance to reconnect for the first time as a family since winter break, and allowed all of us to have the time we needed to relax.  I am grateful to have been able to spend my days sitting outside at the pool.  It's too bad I got sunburned on the first day though…

Since then, I have been relaxing at home.  I took a few "risks" in the last two weeks, and went Jet Skiing with my crazy (all be it loving…) brother, and kayaking with 12' waves around.  Jet Skiing was exhilarating, flying through the ocean at up to 52 mph.  While that may not sound fast, it is hard to hold on when you are clutching your brothers life jacket and riding over the bumps of the waves.  Needless to say, I am very surprised I was not thrown off.  Kayaking was great because we got to see dolphins and sea lions; two creatures that you do not get to see close up everyday.

In 36 hours I will be moving into my dorm room with four of my friends for SENIOR YEAR!!  It feels so surreal; none of us can actually believe it.  This is the first year where I am solely excited, not anxious, not nervous, just excited.  I have no idea what senior year is going to hold for me, but I know that my first semester will be extremely time-consuming.  I am taking Computer Science, Biostats, and Cell Biology in addition to completing my thesis.  Computer Science and Biostats have two hour labs, Cell Biology has a four hour lab, and thesis is 12 hours in lab.  In addition, I run the Jewish Mentor Program, am a manager of Challah for Hunger, tutor, and am going to TA Molecular Biology.  That's all in addition to applying for grad school.  If you think I have bitten off more than I can chew, than you are probably right.  However, I am ecstatic for all of the above.  It is going to be a amazing, especially with all of my friends back on campus, finally, from study abroad.

I want to thank all of you in advance, especially my loving parents, for helping me through the next semester, as well as helping me get this far in my life.  This is not the life path I would have seen for myself, trying to earn a Ph.D. in Molecular/ Developmental/ Stem Cell Biology, but it is absolutely the right career path for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment