Saturday, October 17, 2015

Fall with apples and pumpkins!

Hey everyone!
Today I finally went to Chiles Orchard to go apple and pumpkin picking!  I have been wanting to go for a few weeks now, but haven't had the time.  I do not remember having gone apple or pumpkin picking before, but I am told that I have been pumpkin picking.

It was a lot of fun!  The patch was a bit picked over, leaving all of the good apples up high.  Being that I am short, I was unable to pick all of the gorgeous looking Fuji apples.


There were lots of apples on the ground, that would have been perfect had they still been on the tree branch.  Many of them were rotten, which is unfortunate.  You have to wonder how much money an orchard loses by the amount of apples that fall on a ground.  On the other hand, how much more do they charge to take into account the amount of apples that fall on the ground.
Having never been pumpkin picking before, I did not think about the fact that you actually have to cut the pumpkin off the stems.  Therefore, I did not think about the fact that you have to bring clippers with you.  Thankfully, they provide them in exchange for your car keys (don't worry, you get them back).  I was looking for the PERFECT pumpkin.  Nice sized (not too big), and perfectly round with no dents or bruises, and of course, it could not be rotted/ rotting.  My friends and I trudged through two pumpkin patches looking for our perfect pumpkins.  I  picked up a few potential pumpkins, and then found one perfect and one runner-up.  I cut the perfect pumpkin off of the stem, which was much easier than I thought it would be, and my friend stole it right out of my hands!  Not to worry, I *let* her have it and got the other one.

My perfect pumpkin, and Fuji apples

The view at the orchard was gorgeous.  The weather was just right, not too warm and not too cold.  At points, there was even a nice breeze.

Last, they had fudge!  Of course, I had to get some.  It was buy 5 get the 6th free.  Needless to say, I got 6.
Top (L to R): Caramel apple pie, chocolate, Tiger butter
Bottom (L to R): Peanut butter chocolate, S'mores, Dark chocolate sea salt caramel

I am off to bake with all the apples now!  Have a great night :)

No comments:

Post a Comment